The Daily Mile is an initiative aimed at improving the physical, social, emotional, and mental health and wellbeing of children – regardless of age, ability or personal circumstances. At Cleddau Reach all of our classes take part in the Daily Mile around our wonderful site.
We have found a positive effect on not only the children’s fitness but also on their emotional well-being. Children are happy whilst participating and develop new social relationships with running buddies. We also feel it helps our children to develop learning qualities such as perseverance and determination, which are important qualities to have in all aspects of life.
The Daily Mile has numerous benefits to children, whether they run, jog or walk.
- Within 4 weeks, children who do The Daily Mile have increased levels of cardiovascular fitness.
- The time spent outside, in all weathers, helps children become better engaged with the outdoors and aware of their surroundings.
- The Daily Mile is non-competitive, fully inclusive, and the children have fun!
- The Daily Mile is also a social occasion, and improves relationships, giving children the opportunity to talk to their peers and teachers in a way they might not in the classroom.
- The Daily Mile builds teamwork and leadership skills, with children helping and encouraging their peers.
- Children bring the benefits home, eating and sleeping better and encouraging their families to get active together.
- The Daily Mile builds self-esteem and confidence, improving children’s perception of exercise for life.
- The Daily Mile is critical to reducing childhood inactivity and obesity.
Don't just take our word for it...have a look at our pupils having fun below!
Pics from class Daily Mile