At Cleddau Reach the Humanities Area of Learning and Experience seeks to awaken a sense of wonder, fire the imagination and inspire learners to grow in knowledge, understanding and wisdom.
This Area encourages learners to engage with the most important issues facing humanity, including sustainability and social change, and help to develop the skills necessary to interpret and articulate the past and the present.
The Area encompasses geography; history; religion, values and ethics; business studies and social studies.
Learners will be taught new skills, have support to practice and then be given opportunities to independently apply their knowledge skills and understanding through a range of contexts.
The subjects within this Area share many common themes, concepts and transferable skills, while also having their own discrete body of knowledge and skills. The content, concepts and skills outlined in this Area are interconnected. The disciplines in this Area provide a variety of lenses through which to view the human experience.
Embedded provision to develop the appropriate skills, knowledge and experiences for Humanties includes: -
- Exposure to artefacts
- Visits to museums
- Locality field trips
- Ecological projects
- Planting up and caring for school grounds
- Opportunities to read and use maps, atlases and globes
- Exposure to music, art and writing from different cultures and time
- Visitors from different cultures, religions or time
- Media footage of global events
- Scrutiny of authentic written evidence and articles
- Using technology and practical resources to enhance understanding of the wider world and closer community